Friday, November 30, 2012

PIKE & SHOTTE AND BOLT ACTION

This week was the AGM at the SESWC so it was all business and no gaming.  However last week as well as the big Lutzen game I took part in 2 other games.  On Thursday at the SESWC I played Angus Konstam in a test of Pike and Shotte.  My Scottish Covenanting Army took on Angus’ Parliamentarians.  It did not go well for my side with my 3 regiments of horse proving to be cowardly knavish scoundrels and buffoons of the worst type.  There is a full account of this debacle on Angus’ Edinburgh Wargames blog.

http://www.edinburghwargames.com/Journal%2076.htm

As Angus wrote the rules worked smoothly.   I had produced a sheet listing the differences between Pike & Shotte and the much more familiar Black Powder, and this proved really useful in keeping us on track. I will add this as a page on the blog.  We will certainly try another P&S game soon.



Parliamentary foot firing at the Scots.......
On the Tuesday night I went to Colin Jack’s Wargames shed where we played a Bolt Action game with Dave O’Brien and Bill Millar who was up visiting from London.   In this late 1944 game Bill and I commanded a German force that was trying to break through a Free French force to reach a vital supply dump.  Both sides started with reconnaissance troops on the table and their engagement proved interesting as both sides made escape moves from the enemy fire.  Once each sides heavy equipment a Panzer IV, armoured infantry, M10 and M4 Shermans arrived things got more exciting.  We scored one major success  breaking the M10 with repeated hits from the armoured cars, panzerfausts and  the Panzer IV.  We had a Luftwaffe liaison officer who called up a rare air strike but the inexperienced pilot went astray and attacked our troops - knocking out one of our SD232 8 rads.

It was a good game.  I had ordered some customised game tokens from Warbases to use for Bolt Action games but they only arrived this week and so I will show them in my next Bolt Action report.



Luftwaffe succes - our 232 8 rad burning


Dave's French armour advancing

4 comments:

  1. Both games looked nice Bill! I do want to try Pike and Shotte at some point and since I really like Black Powder I should like it as well.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Bolt Action. Looking forward to see these counters you speak of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saved as a favorite, I love your blog!

    Feel free to surf to my web-site :: kostenlos novoline spiele online spielen

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey there and thank you for your info – I've certainly picked up anything new
    from right here. I did however expertise a few technical
    points using this website, since I experienced to reload the
    site many times previous to I could get it to load properly.
    I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will often affect your placement in google and
    can damage your high-quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords.
    Anyway I'm adding this RSS to my email and can
    look out for a lot more of your respective exciting content.
    Make sure you update this again very soon.



    my web blog :: novoline spiele online

    ReplyDelete