Wednesday, March 25, 2015

6MM BLUCHER: FRENCH VS AUSTRIANS

I was at the Falkirk and District Wargames Club on Monday for a 6mm game of Blucher.  Dave Paterson provided the OBs, troops and terrain.
My Austrian forces move into the attack some French still concealed

My right flank attack begins to falter
We played the game with armies of 200 points as we have discovered that we cannot get a result in 3 hours using 300 point armies.   Dave has put in a lot of thought and effort into rebasing his French and Austrians on sabots for use with Blucher.   He has also put plastic strips on the sabots (see photo) so that the casualties/rounds expended can be recorded on the units. 

Sabot base showing plastic card system to record hits
I commanded the Austrians and I was the attacker in the game.  My corps strength attacks on both flanks initially looked promising but eventually my frontline forces were so worn down by the French fire that both my attacks faltered.

View from the Austrian right flank
Dave is away ordering more sabots so that he can rebase all of his Napoleonic armies.  I plan to try a 28mm game of Blucher in April.

9 comments:

  1. What size base ad Sabot are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave provided this reply.
      The 4 small bases inside the sabot are 40mmx30mm. The sabots external dimensions are 90mmx70mm with a 4.5mm wide frame that holds the 4 smaller bases.

      The sabots are from Warbases UK they sell them as close order bases and they will do them any size that you want. They normally come with a 2mm thick 4.5mm wide frame glued to a 2mm thick base. I just ordered the top frames and glued plasticard to the bottom of the frame, this means that the base is a thick as it would have been without the sabot and I can use a dry wipe marker to mark the casualties.

      Delete
  2. Nice looking game and great sabot basing.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures, nice looking armies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This 28mm try, where are you going to do it? I'm interested to play it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably at my house sometime in mid April.

      Delete
  5. Good idea re the bases, they look great.

    I notice you don't have labels. Did you use a roster of is the information under the individual bases?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave attempts to distinguish the troops in each corps by formation of the figures but I think he may have to add something on the hidden labels to ID each brigade.
      We have simple roster sheet with elan and the special traits of the units.

      Delete